Monday 2 September 2013

DIY: "fake" nose ring

"Dee, when your allergies act up, take out your nose ring!"

I'll be honest, until a few months ago the concept of having a nose ring never really appealed to me. I suppose I'm not really hard core or rebellious enough for that sort of thing! After all, the only piercings I have are in my ears! Recently though, I've felt compelled to get my nose pierced too. As is often the case, you can blame Clueless for my new found obsession. Thanks to the fabulous 90s style of Dionne, who rocks a nose ring throughout the film, the whole idea seems suddenly more appealing. She made me realise its style potential.

 
 
Still, I'm far too much of a wuss to actually get the piercing! So, I set out on a mission to fashion a nose ring that doesn't require the piercing itself. After a few hours of research I was able to combine the various Youtube tutorials I found together to form what I consider the easy way to DIY a "fake" nose ring.
 
Here's the result:
 
 
 To make your very own pain free nose ring, here's what you'll need:


  • One pair of heavy duty scissors (or jewellery making pliers)
  • An old piece of metal jewellery with loop attachments as shown above (connecting chain to key) 



 
Firstly, choose a metal connection hoop from the item that you wish to use. Find the point at which the metal hoop joins - there should be a small gap - and place each scissor blade either side of the join. Using a cutting motion, widen the join and slip the hoop off the jewellery piece.

 
 
Once you have the single hoop, use the scissors to clasp one edge of it and twist it slightly to form an upward curve as shown bellow. This will stop the metal scratching the inside of the nostril which could be more than slightly painful!




Try the ring on and adjust as necessary. The part that you curved upwards should sit comfortably inside the nostril and the other end on the outside, so that it's tight enough not to fall off (but not so tight that it hurts)!

That's literally it. The easiest DIY ever, right?!
 
 
Just call me Dionne.
 
Let me know if any of you give it a go!
Bethany Paige X

1 comment: