Monday 24 February 2014

Madrid made me do it

Holidays make shopping far too easy. It's a mix of "oh go on, you're on holiday Beth!" And "oh my god I won't be able to get one at home" leading to a single inevitable conclusion - the item's purchase. So I suppose it was obvious that taking a trip to Madrid, the fashion capital of Spain none the less, would lead to a few stylish purchases. I managed to control myself (partially) and didn't buy everything I picked up, but I made some stylish purchases that I felt were worthy of a blog post. 

Firstly - this coat. I mean, it's perfect isn't it? The deep red/purple felt in an oversized (I bought it in XL) boyfriend cut with hidden button fastenings makes it a fashion lover's dream come true. Adding to such a fairytale is the fact that it was €10. Ten Euros. Basically, I got a beautiful coat for what is essentially free. Plus it kept me toasty in the surprisingly chilled conditions of Spain in February, something I hadn't really planed for!





Another thing I didn't think about whilst packing was just how bright the sun can get in Madrid. It may have been cold at times, but the sun was literally blinding me by Midday. I think it's costumery to buy sunglasses on holiday though so I shan't complain one bit. Especially since they're a gorgeous tortoise shell frames and have reflective lenses, costing again just €10.



This is where I will probably be judged most heavily. 
"Oh, I didn't know you could read Spanish"
Well, I can't okay? 
"Magazines you can't read, really Beth?" 
Yes, I know.
Yet, I have no regrets. There's something about having a foreign and exotic issue of Vogue on your vast magazine shelf that makes it very high fashion. And they're basically grown up picture books anyway in most places so I can ignore the strange accents and unknown pronunciations. Or maybe I'll learn something from it. 

These will certainly make their way into my monthly magazine round up.


A final cute purchase was this little note pad which, although isn't fashion related, I felt was too adorable to miss out! It's a nice souvenir as unlike my other purchases it explicitly has the word "Madrid" on the front whereas the others have an implicit Madrid-esque nature about them. I'm thinking this will become my travel pad to take with me on adventures and holidays. A portable collection of my thoughts.


Despite the fact that these were bought under the heavy influence of Madrid's city air, I'm sure they will all be used or worn frequently and loved endlessly. Although, the sunnies may have to wait a few months. You can't win them all! 

Bethany Paige x 

No comments:

Post a Comment